Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pierre's Hole 50 / 100 mile Mountain Bike Race Grand Targhee Resort, WY



Pierre's Hole 50 / 100 mile Mountain bike race.  Part of the NUE series if you're into that kind of thing.  Me I just wanted to ride my bike.  A lot of friends and my wife have been running races lately and I wanted to find something to do to keep up with them.  Who doesn't like to mountain bike right? How hard could it be to ride 50 miles? With close to 8k vertical feet of climbing over the 2 laps of 25 miles. Right hard?  Turned out to not be my best idea. No matter how much biking I did all summer I wasn't ready.  Most miles I did leading up to the race at one time was 21.  I wish I had done closer to 30 or 40.  The last lap really sucked it out of me.  I wanted to break down and cry about 36 miles in, going down Colter's Escape.  I even had something happen to my rear cassette causing my bike to ghost shift for almost an entire lap.  Luckily Troy from Habitat was able to fix it at the aid station, its been smooth ever since.  I really wished I had stopped earlier to have it checked out.  Over all it was an awesome experience!  I will probably do it again in 2013.  I'll know what to expect as far as fulling and how to maybe train a little better.  Looks like we might end up with more climbing in 2013 as a lot of single track was added at the resort at the end of the summer.  Making for even more awesome downhill.  anyone who has't been to Grand Targhee to ride is missing out.  The mill creek descent into Teton canyon is a must for anyone traveling through.  With the addition of the new peaked trail above it the descent is even more epic.

Hardest part was the bustle creek climb (amazing to me that people can climb the whole thing without pushing). Second is having to climb the resort right after ricks basin.  All is forgotten and forgiven on the Mill Creek descent.


Some lame video and pictures of my self inflicted punishment.

Video of most of the 1st lap.  If I was faster I could have recorded the whole lap (maybe next year)





Ready to go.




I have to do another lap?


Awesome sight.


Great kids!

Starting up the long climb on the road.








Finally done!!

Great food and a chance to finally relax.


No comments: